Monday, February 12, 2007

Pay It Forward

Remember that movie? Pay It Forward.

Kevin Spacey. Helen Hunt. Haley Joel Osment. I think.

The premise: do something good. It's the right thing to do.

Well, I've got to do it now.

Why?

Because of the keys.

I lost mine in December. Had them on top of the car. Wife took off for the store. Keys fell off. Search after search after search on the street turned up nothing.

Well, the other night, I'm kicked back in the recliner watching TV. It's 9:30. Now, we don't have an official 9 and 9 rule regarding the phone, but whenever it rings late, you always wonder. At least I do.

I couldn't understand why the Stop & Shop manager was calling me. Until he asked the question:

"Did you lose a set of keys?"

Sure did. Two months ago now.

"Well, they are here."

Couldn't believe it. Someone clearly found them and saw my Stop & Shop card on them. They brought them to the store because of that, and the store was able to track me down. The manager thought they were found in the store. But, not in the condition they were, having been run over a few times.

Still, I had two car keys, two house keys, an office key and my speedpass on there.

Nonetheless, someone, whom I'll never know, found them and did the right thing by bringing them back.

Now it's my turn.

To Pay It Forward.

What else? I got nothin'.

2 comments:

Stormy said...

I hate Haley Joel Osment, but that's a cool story. I'm glad you got your keys back.

I (hopefully) bought myself some good karma on Saturday. I was working at the Kid's Expo & some little girl lost her Dora balloon up in the rafters. She was obviously upset, so I went & bought her another one. ($6 freaking bucks!!) I couldn't bear to see the poor girl crying. You know what it's like. I just hope that someone would do the same for Payton if she was in the same situation.

Molly said...

The movie was awful, but the idea is great. So great, in fact, that I can't imagine you came up with it on your own. Seems to me like someone might have mentioned it to you. I'm just saying...