Sunday, June 17, 2007

Life is Precious

Well, this is one of those times when this is more for me than it is for you.

So that's your warning. You can turn back now if you wish. I don't mind. Really. The next few posts are going to be for me. You are welcome to read them. And comment on them. I'm always thrilled when you do that. But, first and foremost, I'm writing this for me.

The title of this post is something I now believe in more than anything.

Why?

June 10th -- 8:04 a.m., my wife gives birth to a gorgeous and perfect baby girl named Erin Margaret.

June 11th -- at 3:30 p.m., while waiting to take Erin home from the hospital, one of my twin brothers calls me. I'm thinking to congratulate us. No. Instead he's calling to tell me that his twin (and my brother) has suffered a massive heart attack and is on life support.

June 12th -15th -- still a blur.

June 16th -- my brother dies.

Within one week, my family has gained a beautiful little daughter, sister, granddaughter, great granddaughter and niece. And at the same time, we've lost an incredible brother, son, father, uncle and grandson.

Now, I know life isn't fair.

But this?

Honestly?

There is so much for me to write. So much I need to write.

There's a good chance it's going to ramble. I have no idea how the words are going to come out. All I know is they are knocking at the door and they want to come out.

So, on this blog they will come out. They have to.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, life IS precious. And it isn't fair. But through all its joys and tragedies we discover the importance of love, friendship, compassion, mercy, and grace.

It is good that you get the words out. And the feelings. You should know that those who read this blog share in your grief and your joy, and every bittersweet emotion in between. We offer you our support, our prayers, and our care.

Life is precious. And with every beat of our hearts, each of us leaves an indelible impression on the world and the lives around us. As you mourn the loss of your brother, and celebrate the birth of your daughter, and reflect on the impact of both, know that you are strong and that you are surrounded by many who appreciate you and the impression you leave.

Anonymous said...

I don't even have the words right now. But just KNOW that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

As you know, you and your family are in all of our thoughts and prayers right now. Writing is cleansing. We'll all be here to listen.

Anonymous said...

What you experienced, while painful is the classic example of the cycle of life. So much of life is tempered that way...the good with the bad, the happy with the sad...life with death.

I know what you're going through. My best friend will be taken off life support tomorrow (Wednesday).
I j found this old Irish poem and posted it on my site. I'll leave it here for you..

In the meantime, stay strong. We'll soon be able to fully comprehend the odd twists and turns of fate.

Best,
Laurie Kendrick
lauriekendrick.wordpress.com
************************************

"Enough"

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright no matter how gray the day may appear.

I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun even more.

I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive and everlasting.

I wish you enough pain so that even the smallest of joys in life may appear bigger.

I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.

I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.

And most of all, I wish you enough hellos to get you through the final good-bye.