Monday, November 06, 2006

Enough with the Discrimination

I'm sick of it. Really. I never thought it would get to this. To a point where I had to appeal to you, loyal readers, for support. But, here we are.

I am fed up with the discrimination.

Not because I'm white.

Not because I'm Catholic.

Not because I'm straight.

Because I drink orange juice.

Yup, I, and others like me, am a victim of discrimination.

Here's the scenario. You've seen it a hundred times. I'll play the starring role.

I'm in a restaurant, let's say it's my and my better half out for breakfast. She orders coffee. First of all, unless you're going to Fourbucks, it's usually only $.99 or something silly like that. In addition, it's always a bottomless cup.

Think about it, how often when you're out to dinner does the waiter/waitress come by and ask, "More coffee?"

Well, no more coffee for me. I don't drink it. I drink orange juice.

Back at the table, after my better half orders coffee, I order a glass of juice. The first problem is the price -- it's at least $1.75, but these days, it's not a surprise to find it more than $2 and sometimes even higher.

But that's just the beginning. There are two more major elements in play.

First, the size. And, ladies (and gentlemen), here's where size matters. I just paid more than $2 for a glass of juice and it's 8 ounces or something foolish like that.

What's worse?

That's just for the one cup. There will be no waiter or waitress coming around asking if I'd like to "refresh" my juice.

See what I'm saying?

Juice drinkers of the world, we must unite.

It's bad enough I always have to answer the question about why I don't drink coffee. But now, I have to, more than ever, defend my choice to drink orange juice. Or, god forbid, defend my choice of asking for a second glass -- of which I know I will have to pay.

Do you feel my pain?

What else? I got nothin'.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should bring your own orange juice. Plop down a half gallon of your favorite and watch them squirm.

Stormy said...

I'm with ya pal. I hate coffee & always get juice at these places. Eff them all.

Anonymous said...

I have never had a cup of coffee in my life! I agree. I love juice in the morning and we should get the same service as the coffee drinkers!