Sunday, September 03, 2006

My First Official Rant

It's happened to me. I'm sure it's happened to you.

You're on the highway, cruising the left lane, minding your own business. Maybe you're going 70. Perhaps a little more. Whatever it is, it's not enough to get pulled over.

Then you spot him, out of nowhere, in your rear-view mirror.

The cop, almost always in an unmarked car. He comes right up on your tail, virtually forcing you into the right lane, only to cruise by you and then everyone else in the left lane.

If you're doing 70ish, you figure he's pushing 80. And, of course, no light. No siren. No nothing. Just a cop car.

I can't be the only one who can't stand this. I can't be the only one who has said to anyone listening in the car (or to just myself), "Why can he do that?"

Is there a cop code we don't know about? A code that says they can break the speed limit as much as they want and not worry about it?

Apparently there is.

There's also another thing they can do -- at least here in Connecticut. Cops can talk on their cellphones without a headset without a worry in the world. Who's gonna stop them? You've seen it, too. I'm sure you have.

I don't know why this stuff bugs me, but it does. A lot.

Am I alone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, that bugs me... But what bugs me more are the people (cops and non-cops) who drive in the left lane - which is meant for passing, not driving. :)

Anonymous said...

And how come they do not have to wear seatbelts??