Monday, July 23, 2007

It's Too Quiet Around Here

So my family is on a road trip. Only, I'm not with them.

Yup, my wife, my three-year-old son and my six-week-old daughter are in Vermont. Joining them is my wife's sister, who is visiting from Florida for a couple of weeks.

They left Sunday morning. I was then busy until about 6 p.m. Sunday night. But when I got home, instead of finding my son playing with his trains and my wife most likely feeding my daughter, I found, well, nothing. Except left overs in the fridge.

So they are in Vermont visiting my wife and her sister's favorite aunt. They have an amazing house on, basically, a farm. Just picturesque Vermont. But, I've got work and other stuff going on, so I didn't make the trip.

Now I'm wishing I had. I like my time, don't get me wrong.

But did I mention how quiet it is?

There are some pros -- like I can have the air conditioner on all night, I can leave the dishes until the morning, I can wait on the laundry (as long as I get it done before they get home).

But there are three obvious cons -- the people I love the most aren't here. But, they'll be back soon enough. Plenty to keep me busy.

There's no debating with my son about whether or not we're going to read two, three, four or more books for bed. But, there's also no going in his room to check on him and just watch him there in his loft bed, breathing peacefully and recharging his batteries for another day on the go.

There's no changing one diaper for my daughter and end up changing three at one time because she wasn't really done with her poop afterall. But, there's also no falling asleep with her on my chest as we rock the day away.

There's no picking up all the laundry for my wife to put in one or two loads at night. But, there's also nobody to spoon with when I rollover in the middle night.

Renee, Aidan, Erin. Enjoy Vermont. Take lots of pictures.

But do me one favor.

Hurry home.

What else? I got nothin'.

4 comments:

John said...

i know how you feel - times 10.

go get my darlin' be home soon by the lovin spoonful.

you'll be able to relate to it....and seriously, be sure you listen to it....great words....i think it'll hit on your feelings too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh0NSLgE1L8

kwarterlifecrisis said...

Aww! That is so sweet. And also gross about the baby's poop. :)

Anonymous said...

How fortunate you are. How beautiful this post.

Anonymous said...

Wuss, grow a sack