Monday, July 02, 2007

One Day at a Time

I wish this post were about the TV show that shared the same title.

I probably could write for hours about Valerie Bertinelli.

Instead it's about life and what's been going on in mine and trying to get back to 'normalcy' -- if there even is such a thing.

Besides, when I get around to it, and that will hopefully be soon, I have a funny tale to tell about bringing my three-year-old to his first movie this weekend. The one about the rats. I'm not even going to try and spell it, but you know what I'm talking about.

But first, to those who have read my last few posts about everything -- thank you. I wasn't trying to make you cry. I wasn't trying to over-share, I was writing first and foremost for myself, and if along the way you learned a little bit more about my brother, then that's a good thing.

I can share one other thing with you. I mentioned he was an organ donor and two people got a new kidney because of him. Well, my sister-in-law heard from one of the patients via the organ donation people (I'm sure they have a name, but organ donation people will do for now).

One of the patients is a man in his mid-40s. He has three kids. His oldest daughter is getting married later this year. Because of the gift he received from my brother, he now looks forward to being able to walk his daughter down the aisle at her wedding, something he wasn't going to be able to do before this.

Again, not trying to make you cry. Just saying.

And to all of my friends that have absolutely been awesome through this, my thanks. I am amazed at the outpouring of concern that I (and my family) have received.

It often takes a hardship to realize how good people can be. And how many people really are 'there for you.' It's pretty cool to know that I have friends that drove more than three hours to spend five minutes with me at a wake. Or to know that tonight a friend is bringing over dinner for us. Or that I didn't have to worry about anything at work. Or that the big pile of laundry was done and folded for us. And I could go on and on and on.

The fact is -- I have awesome friends. And I thank you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's because we loooooove you.

Anonymous said...

Mike,

I'd even iron something for you. And that's saying something, because I DON'T IRON.

(It might not come out very well, but you get the idea.)

Anonymous said...

Okay, pressed send a little too quickly.

THE IRONED OBJECT might not come out very well, lest you think I was speaking in some mysterious code.

Yeesh, I need a holiday. Good thing we've got one of those coming right up.

John said...

Mike - do you still like starch in your tightee whitees?