Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Barney Influence

OK, I have to give credit where credit is due.

Barney is a good thing.

Not the Barney on How I Met My Mother (although Neil Patrick Harris is brilliant). No, I'm talking about the big furry purple dinosaur (or whatever he is) Barney.

Barney gets props from me today because my two-year-old son had his first day at nursery school yesterday. And, when I got home, my wife told me that the teacher reported, "he did an excellent job during clean up."

Of course, one side of me is jumping for joy. He did great at clean up! Woo-hoo! My son did great at clean up. I actually shared the news with some co-workers today.

And, give props to Barney. When he first sang the "Clean Up Song," my son was hooked. We don't watch a lot of Barney now, but I've got to thank the big purple guy for his influence on my son's ability -- and willingness -- to help pick up his toys.

Of course, then there's the other side of me that looks at the glass half empty. Did he not do other things right? Is she just trying to come up with positive stuff so she says, "He did well at clean up."

Makes you wonder, eh? Well, OK, maybe not you, but it does me.

But, then 10 seconds later it's out of my head.

Afterall, my son is almost two-and-a-half. He is a good clean up guy. But, he's also a good mess-making guy.

He might suck at clean up tomorrow and be really good at something else.

But, that's tomorrow. We're not there yet. All I know at this moment is that my son is the best cleaner upper in his class. And I'm fine with that. Heck, I'm loving that.

No comments: