Monday, October 30, 2006

What's Old is New Again

My son loves fire trucks. No, wait. That's not right. Let me start over.

My son LOVES LOVES LOVES LOVES fire trucks.

While at my in-laws (where he stays during the day), he got a great treat -- playing with an old Tonka fire truck that used to be my brother in law's.

Well, seeing that reminded me of my old Tonka fire truck. I told my son to remind me about it the next time we went to my mom's.

We were there this weekend. I had completely forgotten about it -- until he came up to me and said, "Daddy old fire truck?"

A-ha! That's right. Daddy's old fire truck.

So, up to the attic we went. He climbed the steep dark stairs in a quest for another fire truck. And there it was. Just sitting there. Not covered. Just one really old (yet still really cool) red Tonka fire truck.

The cool feature of this truck is that its a bucket loader truck -- or, apparently in fire truck speak, a snorkel truck. So, he immediately started raising the bucket.

U
P

A
N
D

D
O
W
N

Non stop. I'm sure we'd still be up in the attic unless I carried him (holding the fire truck) down the stairs.

We got home and there was immediately a comparison between "old daddy fire truck" and his others.

(Mine, of course, is the coolest.)

It doesn't matter that this truck is more than 30 years old. It doesn't matter that the two side ladders are missing. It doesn't matter that part of the hose from the side is not working right.

What matters is that it's a fire truck. And to my son, it's perfect.

It was for me, too.

What else? I got nothin'.

3 comments:

Stormy said...

Is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-TONKA-SNORKEL-AERIAL-FIRE-TRUCK-PRESSED-STEEL_W0QQitemZ270045061228QQihZ017QQcategoryZ47224QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Stormy said...

Let me try again.

Fire Truck

Anonymous said...

Ahhh would you UPDATE already? :)