Monday, August 27, 2007

One Reason Being a Parent is Hard

Well, it finally happened.

"I don't have to do it all the time with Mommy."

Those were the words from my three-year-old when I insisted he wear his helmet to ride his bike, even for just a couple of minutes in the driveway.

I could go on and on about how we didn't have to wear helmets. But, fact is, kids have to today. So, my thought and goal is that everytime he sits on the bike, his helmet is on his head. No exceptions. Then it becomes automatic.

When I mentioned it to Renee, she definitely understood my point. And, agrees with it. Yet, there are times when she's juggling a bazillion things and Aidan on the bike for a minute or two without the helmet isn't a terrible thing.

And I agree with that. We're both trying so hard at this parenting thing. And the helmet is the newest challenge.

It's a Diego helmet, which is cool. And he loves that. But one day, it goes on without any issue at all. The next, you'd think we're talking about him putting an animal on his head.

It's probably our problem for not starting it as soon as he started riding on it about a year ago. But that was when he could barely pedal. He's a pro now, and we are trying to catch up with the helmet thing, because next year, he'll definitely be on a 'big boy' bike with training wheels and not a glorified tricycle.

We'll get there, and this won't be the first time I hear him say what he said. And, God knows there will be times when he says to her, "But I don't do it that way with Daddy."

Ah, the joys.

What else? I got nothin'.

3 comments:

John said...

mary loves her helmet and pads!!!!

Hallie said...

Oh just wait...my three boys, love their helmets so much we go and check them out at walmart. Raymond is already talking about how he "needs" a new helmet for when he skis this winter!

Anonymous said...

Well said.